Courtesy of the 1/23/14 edition of THE CHRONICLE.
Sac County Endowment Foundation Awards
The Sac County Endowment Foundation announces awards of $101,342 to Sac County organizations. Funds are distributed to the foundation to be utilized by local not-for-profit organizations. The foundation then awards the dollars in a very competitive round of grant applications.
The Peterson Pioneer Home in Odebolt will receive renovations to windows, doors and siding with a $4,000 award.
Appointed to City Council
The Odebolt City Council appointed Lee Hemer as council member during their Monday, January 6 meeting. He will fill Butch Hemphill's seat as Butch resigned effective December 31, 2013 to take over his role as mayor by election. Hemer's term will be effective until the next city election in 2015.
On January 17 an Odebolt building located on the east side of Main Street was demolished.
The building formerly housed Rumors bar, owned by Gail Wilwerding, and Jim's TV and Appliance, owned by Jim Wareham. Demolition of the building was done by Chad Mohr, owner of Bedrock, out of Schleswig.
Note from editor:
Read about the Schmitz Building in its early days.
Some of us remember that the building also housed Larson's Grocery Store. When we were children we watched Wally Larson as he cranked down the awning to shade the store from the afternoon sun. We were fascinated by the large ornate brass cash register on which Wally or his partner Harry Sellman rang up purchases. This cash register had perhaps been used in Larson & Erickson, the store founded in 1893 by Wally's father, John Larson, and his partner John Erickson.
Larson & Erickson was first located at the southeast corner of Second and Maple in Odebolt. This building was called the Wright block, and the opera hall was on the second floor. Both the Schmitz building and the Wright block were built in 1881.